Thursday, February 15, 2007

Hidup yang tidak ASIK

These songs gave voice to the individual experiences and feelings of alienation within mass urbanized society and resonated in the emotions of millions. Both of these songs are poetic evocations of daily pain and their favorable reception (measured by record sales) demonstrated just how widespread that pain was (and is).




The Sound of Silence

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the Sounds of Silence.

In restless dreams I walked alone
Down the streets of cobblestone,
'Neath the halo of the 8th Street lamp,
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
that split the night and touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
10,000 people, maybe more.
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening,
People writing songs that voices never share
No one dared
disturb the Sounds of Silence

"Fools," I said,"oh you do not know
Silence like a cancer grows.
Hear my words that I might teach you,
Take my arms that I might reach you."
But my words like silent raindrops fell,
And echoed
In the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made.
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words it was forming.
And the signs said, the words of the prophets
are written on the subway walls,
And tenement halls.
And whispered in the sounds of silence.


Simon & Garfunkel, "Sound of Silence", 1965, in
Collected Works,
Columbia, 1990, CD 45322








Elenor Rigby

Elenor Rigby picks up
the rice in the church
where her wedding has been
lives in dream
waits at the window
wearing a face
that she keeps
in a jar by the door
Who is it for?

(chorus)

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong

Father McKenzie
writing the words of a sermon
that no one will hear
no one comes near
look at him working
darning his socks in the night
when there's nobody there
what does he care

(repeat chorus)

Elenor Rigby
died in the church
and was buried along with her name
nobody came
Father McKenzie wiping
the dirt from his hands
as he walks from the grave
no one was saved

(repeat chorus)

McCartney/Lennon/Saka
sung by Joan Baez on Joan, 1967
Vanguard (LP) VRS-9200



No comments: